RCUWM has been established under the auspices of UNESCO since 2002 in Tehran-Iran. The agreement between the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) regarding RCUWM has been recently renewed, signed and exchanged for its third period of activities as for 2018-2023 (please download the latest Agreement from here)
RCUWM is guided and overseen by its Governing Board (GB) as the most important decision making constituent at the highest level according to the agreement. The Centre’s GB member states were Ministers from Iran (Chair), Afghanistan, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Germany, India, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Pakistan, Syria, Tajikistan and Yemen as well as UNESCO Director General during the period of 2002-2017.
- Providing support to joint research and technology transfer projects;
- Conducting training courses and capacity building events at various levels;
- Partnership and networking at the regional and international levels
- To promote scientific research on the issues and problems related to UWM of the region.
- To create and reinforce networks for the exchange of scientific, technical and policy information on urban water issues among the institutions and individuals in the region and in other countries.
- To develop and coordinate cooperative research activities on urban water management issues, taking advantage particularly of the installed scientific and professional capacity of the region and of the relevant UNESCO-IHP networks and non-governmental organizations.
- To organize knowledge and information transfer activities on the subject, including international training courses, symposia or workshops, and to engage in appropriate awareness raising activities.
- To develop a strong program of information and communication technology to further the Centre’s objectives.
- To provide technical consulting and advisory services in the region and beyond as required.
- To produce technical publications and other media items related to the activities of the Centre